Ham (Spam) Egg Drop Soup
My mom often made this soup with ham when we were growing up. Here are the simplified steps to a very simple type of egg drop soup if you’re pressed for time and want to put together a simple but enjoyable meal.
Click here to watch the steps in this TikTok video.
- Bring 4 cups of water to boil. I am using a 2 1/2 quart pot.
- Add the cubed ham (I used one 12 oz can of SPAM lite) and corn (I used one 12 oz package of frozen corn).
- Once the contents of the pot come to a boil you can lower the heat to medium low.
- Pour 3 beaten eggs very slowly into the pot while maintaining a constant stirring motion the entire time. The stirring motion and the gentle pour will create the ‘egg drops’. Again, it’s important to make sure that you’re using a lower heat setting as instructed in Step 3 or otherwise a strong boil will disrupt this step.
- Add 2 tablespoons of corn starch in a bowl and mix with 1 cup of cold water. (Never add dry corn starch directly to hot soup as that will result in clumps.) Mix well and pour slowly into the pot while maintaining a stirring motion. You do not want the mixture to clump and it should thicken up the soup a bit.
- Add scallions (also known as green onions), salt, white and/or black pepper to taste. You can also add this afterwards if anyone in your household does not like scallions or if they’re sensitive to sodium or the slight heat from black pepper. I served the soup with some leftover rice which softened up nicely due to the freshly cooked soup.