Minced meat served with napa cabbage
Taiwanese minced meat is one of my favorite comfort foods that I grew up with. I recently shared the recipe (and other random videos) on TikTok here. Here are the steps and ingredients for easy reference:
1. Brown ground pork (or other ground meat of your choice). I usually use about 1 pound of ground pork. If there’s a lot of water while browning the ground pork you should pour out some of the excess liquid. Otherwise you can can usually cook out the water.
2. Add 3-4 slices of ginger.
3. Add scallions (also known as green onions). I used about one bunch but the more scallions the better in my opinion.
4. Optional: Add dried shallots. Again the more shallots the better in my opinion.
5. Add a few taps of five spice powder (approximately 1/2 teaspoon).
6. Add 1 teaspoon sugar.
7. Add enough light soy sauce to cover the browned ground meat halfway. Add more soy sauce if you prefer it to be saltier.
8. Optional: Add five spice tofu (I prefer Nature’s Soy brand featured on this blog) cut into small cubes. Mix well and cover over medium/medium low heat for 10 minutes and then mix well and cover again.
9. Optional: Add peeled hard boiled eggs. Fold the eggs gently (to avoid puncturing the egg whites) to the bottom of the pot so that they are browned by the soy sauce. If you prefer darker stewed eggs add more soy sauce in Step 7 above. After 10 minutes on medium/medium low heat mix everything in the pot so that the eggs are evenly stewed and turn light brown-dark brown depending on how much soy sauce you add. The longer you simmer everything the tastier the tofu and eggs will become.